Words from the Pearl Island

Words from the Pearl Island

Monday, March 3, 2008

Grouses from an Indian Uni student...Vote Wisely

Why I would vote wisely in the election?
(as Uni students are banned from politics, I choose not to mention any
political parties)

1. I am lucky coz I wuz given a place in a local Uni to do my masters
degree, but all my other indian brothers & sisters were not as lucky
because of our quota system. Last year, there weren't any non bumi's
in my course. I struggled to get into this Uni as it used to be the
top Uni in the region. I wuz horrified when I found out that it wuz no
longer the top, and not even in the top 100 list. In fact, non of the
local Uni's made it to the top 100.

2. I am the only indian in my whole faculty who is doing this masters
programme. Actually, the only non-bumi.

3.As I come from a poor family background, and the sole bread winner,
I have to also work, while my classmates (mostly gov. servant bumi's)
are on paid study leave plus they get study loans from JPJ and MARA.

4. As I am more qualified than any of my other classmates, naturally,
I shud be getting better grades as the bumi's not only had low CGPA's
in their degree's/diploma's, they can't speak proper English, are
absent for most lectures and are too lazy to do their assignments.

5. But that's not the case here as lectures are pressured to give them
good grades.

6. Today, they wuz a security block in the campus, and all the cars in
front of me were allowed to pass, but I wuz stopped for almost half an
hour by a semi deaf, semi blind bumi security guard who accused me of
having a fake matrix card (as I looked different in the photo), and
refused to listen although I told him that I can also produced an IC
to prove who I am. He finally let me go when my classmate, an
Indonesian (a whole different issue)supported me.

7. Indonessian students feel so much more at home in the campus,
compared to us Indians and Chinese. In the recent Pesta Konvokesyen,
there were 3 Indon stalls but no Chinese or Indian stalls. Indon
students have more freedom in student organizations and gatherings
compared to us.

This list can go on and on….but this is only a small part of my story,
every Malaysian Indian has a different story to tell, but it all leads
to one problem…you know what I mean…so vote wisely for a better future...

P.S. Please vote wisely...

No comments: